Pool By-Laws ;
IMPORTANT: For the 2020 Covid-19 Swim Season please see our addendum of rules here.
In the interest of providing a pleasurable swimming environment to all members in good standing of the Park Wilshire Improvement Association (PWIA) Swim Club, as well as their families and guests, and to provide safe conditions and proper pool management, the following policies have been adopted by PWIA for the use and operation of the pool. Please inform your families and guests of these rules and the necessity to follow them and the instructions of the Pool Staff.
Certification of Responsibility: All members of the PWIA Swim Club, their families and their guests who enter or use the pool facility shall do so at their own discretion, risk, and responsibility. Members and guests will be solely responsible for all actions of themselves, their children, and their guests. The PWIA Swim Club assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any injury sustained in connection with use of the pool facility and assumes no responsibility for loss or damage of personal property of any kind. Persons using the pool facility understand and agree that negligent use of a pool and negligent parental supervision of children using any swimming pool can be inherently dangerous. In consideration of their use of the pool, members and guests agree to waive any and all claims and causes of action against the PWIA Swim Club and further agree to hold the PWIA Swim Club harmless from liability for any injury, death, or damages which may result from the use of the pool facility. The PWIA Swim Club will strive to have a sufficient number of trained and certified lifeguards present at the pool facility during regularly scheduled hours to provide a safe environment within which members, their children, and their guests may enjoy the use of the pool. However, no members or guests should substitute the divided attentions of lifeguard staff for their own best judgment and attention to needs and safety of their children and guests. All members, on behalf of themselves and their families, and all guests will be required to certify that they have read and will abide by the rules, regulations, and policies of the PWIA Swim Club prior to their initial use of the pool facility.
Pool Operating Hours: The pool may be closed at the discretion of the Lifeguard Staff or PWIA Board for reasons of maintenance operations, health conditions, safety precautions, inclement weather or any other condition deemed necessary for the welfare of our members and their guests. Check pool gate and/or pwia.net for current hours of operation and unexpected closings.
- The pool is officially opened with lifeguard coverage from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Check the pool gate message board for key card access schedule prior to the official opening and subsequent to Labor Day (usually through late October, weather permitting.)
- Once opened, lifeguards are on duty during normal hours of operation between 12pm to 9pm Every day. (except, Monday through Friday, 3pm to 6pm in June while school is in session.)
- The pool is cleared every hour, on the hour, for a 15-minute adult swim (18 years+)
- The pool is maintained between the hours of 8am to 10am Monday through Friday, and cannot be accessed during maintenance.
- The pool is reserved Monday through Friday between 9am and 12 noon for swim lessons. Other use at these times will be at the discretion of the swim instructors.
- Lifeguards will clear the pool at 9 pm daily. No swimming is allowed after 9pm.
- Certified lifeguards will be on duty during Pool Operating hours as described above. The lifeguard and/or Pool Staff have the authority to enforce all pool rules and regulations at their discretion in order to provide and maintain a safe and healthy environment. They also have the authority to dismiss any adult or child from the pool for infraction of the rules or policies, or when safety is threatened.
- Do not direct, discipline, or distract lifeguards while they are on duty or engage them in excessive conversation. Refer any management issues to the Director of Lifeguard Administration or another member of the PWIA Board.
- Only authorized personnel are permitted on the guard stands or behind the table at the entranceway to the pool facility.
Access to Facility
- PWIA Swim Club members will receive membership cards for all family members, which must be shown to enter the pool facility. Valid cards will have a current sticker affixed and are color coded to designate access rights as listed below. Green cards will automatically be issued for adult swim members 18 years and older. Red cards will automatically be issued for all swim members under the age of 18. In order to receive a Yellow or Blue card the child Swim Member must pass a swim test (administered by a PWIA life guard) and the adult Swim Member must give written permission for the Yellow or Blue card to be issued.
- Green: Full access for adult members 18 years old and older. May use key card access during hours when lifeguards are not present.
- Blue: With written permission and upon passing a swim test, limited access for members 12-17 years old. May stay for six hours when lifeguard is on duty and not accompanied by and adult Swim Club member. Blue Swim Club members may bring one guest the same age or older with a guest pass and with sign-in by an adult Swim Club member for the guest. During non-lifeguard hours, a Blue Swim Club member must be accompanied by an adult Swim Club member at least 21 years old.
- Yellow: With written permission and upon passing a swim test, limited access for members, ages 9-17 years old. May stay for two hours when lifeguard is on duty and not accompanied by an adult Swim Club member. Yellow Swim Club members must be signed-in and signed-out at the gate by an adult Swim Club member. The adult Swim Club member may sign a Sign-In, Sign-Out Waiver allowing their child to enter the pool for two hours without the adult Swim Member having to sign the child in and out of the pool. This waiver will be good for one swim season only. Once signed, it will be the responsibility of the adult Swim Member to revoke this privilege. Yellow Swim Club members may bring one guest the same age or older with a guest pass and with sign-in by an adult Swim Club member for the guest. During nonlifeguard hours, a Yellow Swim Club member must be accompanied by an adult Swim Club member at least 21 years old.
- Red: Restricted use for members under 9 years of age. An adult Swim Club member, at least 21 years old, must be supervising the child at all times regardless of presence of lifeguard.
- The wading pool is reserved for children five (5) years or younger, unless an older child is assisting in the care of a younger child. Lifeguards do not monitor the wading pool. All children in the wading pool must be accompanied by a supervising adult.
- All guests of PWIA Swim Club members must present a valid guest pass which includes guest’s name, sponsoring PWIA Swim Club member name, the date, and swim club member’s signature. Guests without a valid guest pass will be charged an entrance fee of $5 each. A maximum of 14 guests at a time is allowed per Swim Club member family. Only one (1) guest is allowed per Swim Club yellow-card member when swimming without an adult family member present. The PWIA member hosting a guest must be with the guest at all times.
- If you wish to have more than 14 guests, you must schedule a pool party.
- Temporary membership cards may be issued to family members visiting for more than a 20- day continuous period.
- Children under the supervision of a Day Care Provider will not be admitted to the pool facility unless they possess their own valid PWIA Swim Club membership card issued to their family.
Access With Card Key When Lifeguards are not Present
- Swim Club members in good standing have the privilege of using the pool facilities outside of normal operating hours, as long as the following conditions are met:
- You possess a valid, active Card Access Key, and
- You possess a valid green Swim Club membership card.
- You possess valid blue, yellow, orange or red Swim Club membership card and are accompanied by an adult swim member, at least 21 years of age, who has a valid green Swim Club membership card.
- It is before 9 pm.
- It is not a designated pool maintenance or swim lesson time.
- There are no unexpected pool closure notices posted.
- Adult PWIA Swim Club members must take full responsibility for their family swim members using the pool facility safely when lifeguards are not present.
- Guests are not allowed when lifeguards are not present.
- Abuse of these privileges may result in your card access key being revoked or your swim membership terminated.
Pool Hygiene and Health Requirements
- Showers must be taken before entering the pool.
- Swimmers must wear appropriate swim attire. No cut-offs, dungarees, shoes, or soiled clothing.
- Children not fully potty trained MUST wear the type of swim diapers specified by PWIA at all times in the main pool or wading pool. Board approved swim diapers are provided at the pool for a small fee.
- At the discretion of the Lifeguard Staff, admission to the pool is forbidden to anyone wearing bandages, or with skin abrasions, coughs, colds, excessive sunburn, inflamed eyes, open sores, infections, nasal or ear discharge, or any other symptoms which are determined to be detrimental to the health of others.
- Spitting, spouting of water, blowing the nose, vomiting, urinating, or defecating in the pool is prohibited at all times. Please inform the lifeguard staff immediately of any fecal or vomiting accidents in the pool.
- No smoking or drugs are permitted on PWIA grounds. Alcoholic beverages are allowed only at specified PWIA sponsored social events.
- No gum chewing allowed.
- No pets allowed.
- In the event of an emergency, the pool will be cleared. The signal for this will be three (3) sharp blasts of a lifeguard’s whistle.
- All injuries on the premises should be reported to the lifeguard immediately.
- Glass containers of any type are prohibited from the pool facility.
- Rough play, running, pushing, acrobatics, dunking, wrestling, excessive splashing, and other such objectionable and dangerous behaviors are prohibited. Abusive, rude or foul language is prohibited.
- Soft plastic balls of reasonable size, snorkels, face masks, foot fins, rafts, and tubes are permitted at the discretion of the lifeguard. No hard plastic balls, tennis balls, or water balloons permitted. Flotation devices are to be used as intended only (i.e. no standing, etc.).
- Infants must be under the supervision of a custodial adult who must be in the water in direct contact with the infant at all times.
- Remember: All children in the wading pool must be accompanied by a supervising adult, who has the sole responsibility for the safety of the children.
- The BBQ is available for use except when reserved for a scheduled PWIA association party. See lifeguard at front gate for party schedule.
- Any organized gathering of 14 or more must be scheduled as a party through the Pool Parties coordinator.
- Three (3) hour time limit.
- A list of party guest names must be made available to the lifeguard at the front gate prior to the party for guest check-in.
- Party may not be scheduled beyond 8 pm.
- Party trash must be taken with you for disposal. Trash bags are available at the pool.
- You must be a swim member in good standing with the PWIA Swim Club to schedule a party, and you must attend the party.
- All comments/complaints about the management of the pool should be made to the Director of Pool Operations.
- Lifeguard management issues should be referred to the Director of Lifeguard Administration.
- Valuables are brought to the pool at your own risk.
- Any violation of the PWIA Swim Club Rules, Regulations, and Policies, may result in the suspension of pool privileges of an individual or family at the discretion of the PWIA Board.