On this Page
- Accessing Webmail
- Setting up iPhone
- Forwarding gmail to pwia.net
- How to export email from gmail and import into pwia.net
- How to Setup gmail to use pwia.net email
When you logon for the first time you will see a screen that looks like this
If you are using the default mail app or iphone or android, it will send you a configuration profile you can install and configure quickly
- Choose the device you will use
- Enter the email address you are using, your personal one for example, this is only used to send the configuration profile. This will not work if you are using the gmail app or outlook app. This only works if you are using the regular mail app. If you use something else let me know.
- Uncheck the Calendar and Contacts, we most likely will not be using those
- Click Send, this can take a few minutes, I have found clicking 2x works faster actually
- Check the box Open my inbox when I log in
- Click Open
Odds are if you ask how to setup IMAP, you won’t need any of this and can find the instructions here.
Setting up iPhone
Note that these steps assume you have done steps 1-4 above
Configuring iPhone, most of us are most likely using iPhone, if you are not, you can probably follow along pretty closely.
- Look for an email like this
2. Open the email and at the bottom there is a file a .mobleconfig, click on that
3. Once click on you will get a message that it has been downloaded
4. Go to settings and you will see a profile click on that
5. Click Install
6. Enter your phone’s passcode
7. Enter the password for the email account and click Next
Forwarding of Gmail
So you don’t have to check two email boxes, auto forwarding of email is reccomended
- Open up your gmail account
- in the upper right click on settings then click on See all settings
3. Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP
4.Click on Add forwarding address
5. Type in the pwia.net email address and then Next
6. At the pop up windows click proceed
7. You will get an email in the pwia.net account with a confermation number
8. Enter that number back into the gmail account
9. Select the option to forward a copy of incoming mail to and then choose to archive Gmail’s copy. This way there will never be confusion of which as the correct message
Set an auto responder that the email account is no longer being used
- Go to the General Tab at the top
2. Scroll down to the bottom and turn on Vacation responder, select the start day to today. And choose no last day. Enter a subject and a response, make sure to include the start date, and the new email address.
Export and import email
A few key notes to this that the largest file you can import is 50MB so you may need to go through this a couple of times. I would also recommend deleted and purging email from your inbox or filed folders. And last, imported email will be imported as unread.
- under Select data to include choose Deselect all
2. Scroll down to Mail and check the box
3. Click on All Mail data included
4. UNCHECK Include all messages in Mail
5. Deselect all folders like Chat, Drafts, and archive (deleted emails) and check folders that have pertinent emails. If that folder is large, several hundreds of emails, you will need to first break it into smaller folders and repeat this process for each folder.
6. At the bottom Click Next Step
7. Choose Export Once and then Create Export. This process can take some time. A large mailbox can take up to 30 minutes. You will get an email when it is completed. You can stay on this page, or come back later.
8. Return back the https://takeout.google.com If you left the page
9. You will now see the downloaded file. If it is larger than 50MB, you will not need to import it, and either choose less folders or break the folders down further in gmail
10. This will download a .ZIP file (mac and PC) for example takeout-20210314T003759Z-001.zip. Open the ZIP file and navigate to the Takeout\Mail Folder and copy the mbox file to your desktop
11. Log into your webmail, make sure that roundcube is selected, this is the default unless you changed it
12. Click on the kabab in the upper right next to your account name
13. Click on Manage folders
14 Click on Create Folder
15. Click on Inbox
16. Select the folder you just created
17. Click on the kabab in the upper right corner and choose import
13. Browse to the mbox file you exported above. Wait a few minutes. The email will will show in the folder you just created.
You can repeat this process for each folder in your gmail account; exporting and importing.
How to use gmail with pwia.net
Before doing this step, You must first setup the email forwarding and export your email to pwia.net, otherwise you could get an email loop going.
Logon to gmail
- go to settings
2. Click on Add another email address
3. Enter the display name and email for pwia.net and make sure to check the box Treat as an alias and click Next Step
4. configure the settings as describe, make sure to set the port to 465 and click add account
5. You will receive a code in your pwia.net account and enter the code in the box and click Verify
6. Back at the settings page Select to option to Reply from the same address the message was sent to and change Make default.
7. Still on the accounts and import tab Click on import mail and contacts
8. Enter the email address
9. Enter your pwia.net account information: password set the POP server to mail.pwia.net and click Edit next to the port
10. Change the port to 995 and check the box next to SSL
11. IMPORTANT: Check the box next to leave a copy on the mail server. Optionally uncheck the box next to label email. and click on start import
Yes, you are going to basically export and then import the mail back in. but this ensures that email is still on a single location. this can take some time to import.
If you do not check the box at step 6 to make the pwia.net email the default, you will need to change the send as email for each email.